This is one of my most favorite meals and real comfort food. The trick is to add lots of basil and to fry to aubergine slices in egg and flour before creating the dish. It can be made in advance and stored in the fridge until ready to cook.
2 large aubergines
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
1 stick of celery
1 large onion
2 large garlic cloves
2 balls of mozarella
Freshly cut basil
Salt and Pepper
1. Thinly chop the onion, carrots and celery.
2. Fry in a saucepan until they soften. Add the tinned tomatoes, season and simmer for 20 minutes
3. Slice the aubergines length ways at about 1 cm thick.
4. Beat the eggs together in a bowl and cover each aubergine slice with egg, then with flour.
5. Heat the Olive Oil in a pan and fry the slices on a medium heat until they start to brown. Remove slices and place on kitchen roll to absorb excess oil.
6. Slice the mozarella balls
7. To buld the dish sread a layer of sauce, then add a layer of aubergines, another layer of sauce, half the mozarella, sprinkle with a large handful of basil. Then add another layer of aubergines, sauce, the remaining mozarella, basil. TO finish add the final layer of aubergines, cover with sauce and sprinkle with the grated parmasan and freshly ground black pepper.
8. Bake in the oven at 200 degrees for about 40 minute until the top is browned and bubbling.
Serve with fresh crusty bread and a green salad.